Sunday, November 7, 2010

Peach Cardamom Biscuits

The house is in shambles and it's raining cats and dogs.  Perfect time for some baking!  I found this recipe online the other day and wanted to try it out, but when I went to the store, I couldn't remember all the ingredients, so I kind of mixed it with a scone recipe by Isa Moskowitz.  I still wanted it gluten-free, and I forgot the coconut flour and amazaki, so I improvised.



Amelia's Slap-dash Peach Cardamom Biscuits

Mix together and let curdle:
2 cups soy milk
2 tsp apple cider vinegar

Sift in a large bowl:
1 1/2 cups rice flour
1 cup soy flour
1/2 cup corn starch
1 1/2 tbsp baking powder
1 heaping tsp cardamom
3/4 cup xylitol
1/2 tsp salt

Make it fluffy:
Whip 2 tbsp of egg replacer into the sour soy milk.
Add in 1/4 cup agave

Peaches:
I used about a cup and a half of frozen peaches. I melted them on the stove and broke them into half inch pieces.  Even if you're using fresh, I'd cook them just a bit to get the peachy syrup well distributed in the biscuit.  Stir this into the soy milk mixture

Mixing it together:
This is why these are biscuits rather than scones.  I got ahead of myself and mixed the wet into the dry straight away.  To make pastries more on the crumbly end of things (and correct me if I'm wrong), the oil needs to be mixed with the flours before the water stuff.  The oil (butter, margarine, whatever) will coat the dry stuff and then the water-based stuff will hold it together.  When you want moister cookies, you massage water-based stuff into the flour, getting the gluten sticky, before adding the oil-based stuff.  Water's hydrophilic, oil's hydrophobic.  That kind of stuff.
Anyway, I forgot about the plan to cut some margarine in, and mixed the wet straight in.  No point in dealing with the hassle of cold margarine at that point, so I poured in 1/6 cup canola oil. and mixed well.

Putting it in the oven:
The oven should be preheated to 350.  Drop spoonfuls of the batter onto a greased cookie sheet, leaving some space between.  They hold their shape a little bit, but do expand some too.  I was worried they'd make one solid biscuit, but they stayed separate.
Sprinkle each one with a teaspoon of xylitol for added yum.
Bake for 20 minutes or till golden, and enjoy!

I think this recipe would also work for muffins.  They have that kind of consistency.  It would be worth a try. 

You may be concerned that I am not following through with my falcon project, but I would like to assure you that, even with all the crap going down, I have managed to dress appropriately each and every day.  I'll post photos soon, I just haven't had the time/confidence lately to look camera-ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment