Sunday, November 21, 2010

How-To



Some time ago I got a book called "How to Develop Poise and Confidence," by Michael Drury.  I don't remember if it was a sarcastic gift or if I bought it for myself to increase my quirkiness, but I've had it for probably ten years.  Published in '63 and aimed mostly at house wives, it's a window into another time.  While it at first seems trite, the advice it contains is really well founded.  Here are some thoughts for the day.

Believe in Yourself

How can a woman give herself to her family, her work, or anything else if she hasn't got a self to give?  To be self-confident, you have to believe in a self, in its reality and importance.  The self you are is unique.  Your ears, fingerprints, the swirl of your hair are distinctly your own, not only different from anybody else's but different from any that have existed throughout history.  It is reasonable to assume that what is inside--your sensibilities, talents, tastes--are equally special.  If you do not value them and use them, they will be lost to the world, for nobody else has your particular combination of abilities.

Perhaps it can be said this way: Taking pains with your outside appearance lets your real self come through, as a sparkling window lets in the sun. If there are pretty curtains blowing softly in the breeze and a bowl of flowers on the sill, so much the better.

I'm still not good at spending time on my looks every morning.  Partly because my mornings don't have much of a pattern to them, but I won't blame that entirely.  It's just been a hard habit to build.  But I do try to remind myself that taking care of the outside of my body isn't all that different than taking care of the inside.  Jeans and over-sized hoodies (like I'm wearing right now) are super comfy, but they put me in the mind set to flop around all day.  Putting on get-up-and-go clothes makes me feel much more inclined to be a productive member of society, and that makes me feel good about doing my face and hair.  It's a positive feedback loop.

1 comment: