Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Mushroom Gravy

I'm posting this partly to share, because it's great, and partly so I can access this recipe from any computer.  I could make a google doc, but if I'm typing it anyway, why not put it here!  I feel like a true American cook should be able to make a gravy without a recipe, but I didn't have biscuits and gravy until I was 17, and it's only made a sporadic appearance since then.  I hope you enjoy, and I hope not sporadically (Clueless reference).


Mushroom Gravy
From Vegan Brunch, by Isa Chandra Moskowitz

2 cups vegetable broth
1/4 cup flour
2 T olive oil
1 medium onion, thinly sliced into 1/2 inch long pieces
10 ounces cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced (4 cups)
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 t thyme
1/2 t sage
1/4 salt
sever dashes of fresh black pepper
1/4 cup white cooking wine

Mix the flour into the broth until dissolved and set aside.

Preheat a large nonstick pan over medium heat.  Saute the onion in the oil for about five minutes, unitl translucent.  Add the mushrooms and saute for five more minutes, until the mushrooms are tender.

Add the garlic, thyme, sage, salt and pepper.  Saute for another minute.  Add the wine and turn the heat up to bring to a simmer.  Let simmer for about a minute, then lower the heat and add the broth mixture.  Stir constantly until thickened, about five minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment