Monday, November 1, 2010

Breakfast at Home

Even though I wasn't gone from home for very long on this last trip, I sure got to missing my kitchen.  Per's still traveling, so my first meal back was a solo adventure.  When I woke up this morning the first thing I wanted was a breakfast cornbread.  I like to indulge my travel-induced food cravings.  One time I absolutely had to have squash pancakes.  Nothing else would do.  So today it was cornbread.
When one takes the summer essentially off all exercise and subsists on coconut ice cream, one will inevitably pack on some extra baggage.  So here I am, on the first real day of the off season, with a few pounds too many.  Dropping back to my ideal weight isn't something I ever enjoy, but it's not too terrible either.  Without being able to eat gluten, which is low in carbs and high in protein, this year will be extra challenging.  On top of that, it's Thanksgiving Month!  I am going to make thanksgiving foods every single day this month.  It only comes around once a year, and it's my absolutely favoritest holiday.  Plus my birthday is the 26th.  Soooo...  That leaves me with the challenge of finding weight-loss foods that taste super yummy.  Cornbread is not one of them, but I made it anyway.  I'll start tomorrow, right?

Skillet Corn Bread, from the Veganomicon, plus my modifications
2 cups plain soy milk
2 tsps apple cider vinegar
2 cups corn meal
1/2 cup gluten-free flour mix by Arrowhead mills
     This stuff bakes almost just like wheat flour.  It's what I made Per's birthday cakes with
1/2 cup soy flour
     I actually only had 1/2 cup of the flour mix, so you could just do 1 cup of flour
1/4 cup xylitol (or sugar)
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp molasses
1 apple finely diced
     It calls for 1/3 cup of oil, but if you mix in the diced apple, it'll taste more breakfasty and still be moist
     I got this substitution idea from Per's mom's Apple Cake which was made back when butter was rationed

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.  Lightly grease the bottom and sides of a cast iron pan and place it in the oven to warm while it preheats.
Combine the soy milk and the vinegar in dish and set aside to curdle as you prepare everything else.
In a large mixing bowl, sift together the cornmeal, flour, xylitol, baking powder, and salt.  Create a well in the center and add the soy milk mixture and molasses.  Use a wooden spoon to mix together until just combined: some lumps are okay. Fold in the apple bits.
Pour the batter into the prepared cast iron skillet.  Bake for 32-35 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment