Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Day 28: a recap

Rolling into the Hood River Valley High School parking lot in my 84 Dodge Aries, I got my first glimpse of an early-60s Ford Falcon.  Its polished black paint contrasting against the gleaming chrome was just too much for my teenage heart.  Quiet and alone on my bench seat, I swooned.

Ten years later I am a somewhat respectable adult with a husband, a house, and a car all my own.  We are Portlanders.  We are practical.  We have four bicycle racks on the roof of our Subaru station wagon.  We own a house in North Portland, the popular home of many young successful, but still slightly hip couples.  We garden, compost, and recycle.  And still, every time I pass a Falcon, my heart flutters just a bit and my knees shudder.  For the seven years that Per and I have been together, he has had to listen to me wax poetic about these cars.  At the end of his patience, Per decided that if I really want one, I'm going to have to earn it.  And so we struck a deal. 

The contract is this: if I can dress in the rockabilly style, complete with makeup and hair, each and every single day for six months, then we will buy a 64 Ford Falcon.  If I skip a day, it starts over.  I've never been one for subtlety, and any excuse to have fun is a welcome one right now.  It keeps my mind off the my recently diagnosed Crohn's disease (ulcers in my little gut) that is keeping me from racing or even riding my bicycle.

The rules are kind of hazy and weird, especially considering that the rockabilly movement was in its peak in the 50s, the car's a 64, and I am working in some of the glamor of the 40s.  The color palate is essentially black and red.  Polka dots and gingham are great.  Victory rolls and pompadours work for the hair, liquid eyeliner for the eyes, and very, very red lipstick.  Also, all twenty of my nails must be kept in good condition with cherry red nail polish.  And let's not forget the shopping.  A whole new wardrobe!  Dresses, shoes, girdles, the whole deal!  Skinny jeans are a no-go for me (deadlift butt) so I'm stuck with pencil skirts and lovely dresses.  It's not that I don't like how I look in skinny jeans, it's that I have yet to find any that are sewed for sprinters.  But I don't usually mind the shopping.  Naked City on Hawthorne has been a good source, as well as the occasional vintage stores.  Finding clothes that fit has been a little bit of a challenge.  I know everyone has a unique body shape, but I definitely have had an easier time of it in the past, pre-weight lifting.  My lats are too wide and my tits are too small.  My waist is too solid and my glutes stick out too much.  All these things are great for going fast, but not so good for taffeta.  Cotton/spandex blends are my friends.

Some photos from my facebook posts:


No comments:

Post a Comment